image

Twenty-five years have passed since the merging of two local congregations into the one we now know as San Dieguito United Methodist Church, and what a good idea that was! Since 1968 so much has changed in the area. We have had a huge influx of new people and new ideas. Our schools have grown, we have incorporated the area under the name of Encinitas, our population is now far more diverse, and needs are greater than ever. Thanks to our long heritage, the foresight shown by our early benefactors, and the fine ministerial leadership we have been fortunate enough to have all these years, San Dieguito UMC has been able to meet the challenge and has grown with the community to do the will of God.

Methodists began to gather in Encinitas as early as 1887 and in Cardiff sometime before 1914. By the mid-1960’s the Cardiff church, on the corner of Manchester and Birmingham, and the Encinitas church at 3rd and D streets, were feeling growing pains. It became apparent to both congregations that their best interests would be served by a merger. At a combined Easter sunrise service in 1968, it was announced that the two churches would become one. The ministers of the two congregations were reassigned with Reverend Phillip Collin and Reverend Ronald Bobo sent to serve one church at two locations. Earlier that year, several local men and women joined together and purchased prime acres at the corner of Encinitas Boulevard and Interstate 5. They sold a choice part of the land to the new church, and under Reverend Collin’s leadership, two buildings from the Encinitas Church were moved on the site, enlarged and given a face lift – our present Fellowship Hall and the Education wing.