Our Local Outreach group (Mission and Social Action) works to establish a peaceful and just society.
We support numerous opportunities to volunteer in the local community. Click Here to see these opportunities, how to volunteer, or get more information.
- Each year we host homeless guests for two-weeks during the community-wide Interfaith Shelter Network, providing food and a place to sleep, while the Encinitas Community Resource Center provides case management services, working with the guests to address and solve underlying problems, and assist in obtaining work and permanent housing.
This year’s Interfaith Shelter dates were February 3rd – 17th, 2013
- Our congregation collects food and other items for the Community Resource Center each month on the third Sunday (known as Share the Table Sunday), and helps prepare holiday baskets. Follow this link for more information Community Resource Center Opportunities.
- We’re serving at the Bread of Life every month now, on the third Tuesday as well as Fill A Belly. There are opportunities for volunteers to help prepare, transport, and serve the meals.
- The Laubach Literacy group teaches English as a second language on Monday evenings at 7:00pm and Tuesday mornings at 9:00am in Founders Hall. Students and teachers are welcome.
- At Chirstmas we offer opportunities for alternative gift ideas such as The Heifer Project.
- We support New Entra Casa, offering safe and supportive homes for women just getting out of prison.
- We support Solutions for Change, an organization doing an effective job of solving family homelessness with permanent solutions. Their website is http://www.solutionsforchange.org
- We support blood drives for the Red Cross and the San Diego Blood Bank
- Our congregation participates in Faith in Action each October when, instead of going to church, we go out into the community to “Light YOUR World”
- We promote sustainable enviornment by dissemination education materials through Forum presentations and articles about local “green” activiities”
- Our committee members support the work of Faith-Based Federal Credit Union, which assists low-income clients with financial literacy and eventual home ownership; we support fair wages for workers and fair trade along with various other issues.
We are looking for new projects from congregants who feel called and committed to helping the most vulnerable people in our society